Please be advised that the granting of the Temporary Marriage Officer's Licence is not automatic upon presentation of the applicant's documents which should be submitted no later than four (4) weeks prior to the wedding date. The application ust be processed and a recommendation made for approval or refusal by the Chairman of the Marriage Officers' Committee (MOC). The Marriage Officers' Committee also reserves the right to interview the applicant. This function is delegated to the Chairman of the Committee.
If the Chairman requests to meet with the applicant, he/she should arrive in Barbados at least two (2) days prior to the wedding date. In addition, the successful applicant must take the Instrument and Letter of Appointment to the Registration Department prior to the wedding date and collect vital documents. Following the wedding, it is neccessary to apply on behalf of the couple for a Marriage Certificate from the Registration Department ( If the couple has engaged a Wedding /Events Co-ordinator, he/she can undertake this duty).
The Minister applying for Temporary Marriage Licence Status must already be authorized where he/she resides to solemnize marriages.
If the Marriage Officer is affiliated to a church which also branches in Barbados, it would be courteous of him or her to inform the Head of that Denomination in Barbados, of his/her intention to solemnize a marriage on this island.
A Form A application must be collected from the Registration Department, completed and submitted to this Ministry (see relevant addresses below) along with the following:-
1.Two (2) passport size pictures.
2.The original or certififed copy of Orientation Certificate.
3. The original or certified copy of the Church's Registration Document.
4. Correspondence from the Church's Head/or Head/Secretary of the Board of Trustees, endorsing Minister's Application and confirming his/her authority to solemnise Marriage.
5. A letter from the applicant that indicates his/her willingness to solemnise the Marriage. This correspondence should also include the names of the couple, and the date, time, and location of the wedding ceremony (once approval is granted for the temporary marriage licence status, a copy of this letter should be given to the couple for presentation at this office, when applying for their marriage licence).
On this Form A application, the applicant must sign only in the area designated for his/her signature, while the Bishop, Superintendent or Head of denoimation must sign on the dotted area provided for him/her.
It is essential to note that a temporary marriage officer licence is granted only for the period stipulated on the Instrument and Letter of Appointment which are given, following approval of request. Therefore he/she will not be allowed to perform any other ceremony outside of the specific date or specific period stated in the aforementioned documents.
ALL OF THE DOCUMENTS, INCLUDING THE PASSPORT SIZE PICTURES MUST BE NOTARISED BY A NOTARY PUBLIC AS TRUE COPIES OF THE ORIGINAL.
Supreme Court Complex
Telephone No. (246) 434 - 9970
Fax No. (246) 426 - 2405
Ministry of Home Affairs
Webster Business Park
Telephone No. (246) 535 - 7260
Fax No. (246) 535 - 7286
- Find your Polling Station
- Setting up a Business
- How to obtain a Drivers License
- Registering a Live Birth
- File my Income Tax Online
- Obtaining a Marriage Licence
- Application for a Temporary Marriage Officer's Licence
- National Registration Number
- Job Seekers
- Upload Pharmacy Data
- Registering for a Death Certificate
- Register a Marriage
- How to Apply for a Passport