Registering a Live Birth
Who can register a birth?
- The parents of a child are responsible for having the child's birth registered
- If the parents are married to each other the father registers the birth
- If the parents are not married to each other the mother registers the birth
- If the parents are not married to each other and the father acknowledges paternity and is desirous of having his name entered on the birth record both parents must be present at the registration of the birth
A birth must be registered within twenty-eight (28) days after birth.
Persons seeking to register a Live Birth must visit the Registration Department, Records Branch, located on Coleridge Street, Bridgetown between the hours of 8:30 am and 3:30 pm Monday to Friday.
The following documents must be presented to the Records Branch during this visit:
- The Personal Child Health Record given by the hospital which records particulars on the baby's birth
- A Marriage Certificate: Where the parents are married
- The applicant's Barbados Identification Card or other valid form of identification
- If the applicant is a Non-National the Passport should be presented
Where the parent is a Minor, documents to be presented are:
- The Minor's Identification Card
- A Passport Size Picture certified by a Justice of the Peace
- A Birth Certificate OR a Passport
When registering a Live Birth
- Registration for a Live Birth is free of cost.
- A fee of $5.00 is required for the Birth Certificate.
- A fee of $20.00 is charged for late registrations.
- Expired documents will not be accepted for registrations
- The names of the child must be spelled correctly.
- All questions asked by the registrar must be answered.
- The applicant must carefully check and ensure that all the information given is accurate and correct before signing.
For further information contact/visit the Registration Department at:
Supreme Court Complex
White Park Road
- Find your Polling Station
- Setting up a Business
- How to obtain a Drivers License
- Registering a Live Birth
- File my Income Tax Online
- Obtaining a Marriage Licence
- Application for a Temporary Marriage Officer's Licence
- National Registration Number
- Job Seekers
- Upload Pharmacy Data
- Registering for a Death Certificate
- Register a Marriage
- How to Apply for a Passport